Re: Postfix as default MTA?

Florian Lohoff writes:

> BTW: I see no loss of flexibility with changing to postfix.

Exim's header rewriting rule seems to be more flexible than the
counterpart of Postfix. For example, you can use expansion variables
with Exim. One application is to rewrite the envelope from using the
message from header with something like this:

*@your.domain    "${if def:header_from {$header_from:}fail}"     F

I don't know how to achieve this with Postfix.

> I see a gain in performance, security and

I tend to agree.

But one feature of Exim I really like is the ability to run from
inetd, which is possibly desirable for a home user with a underpower
pc and without heavy email load.

> ease-of-configurability.

As far as I am concern, it's the same.

> So i would like to see postfix as the default (It is already for my
> machines, Mail Exchangers, UUCP-Gateways, News Server, Laptops etc).

Exim seems to be more mature and have larger user base at this point,
thus it's easier find the configuration recipe and other info you
might need. Postfix, on the other hand, seems to have more potential.

I'd say it's tough call at this point.

--
H Huang