Re: Translation of init scripts

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 11:44:12AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:

> This ties in with my reaction. Look at the init scripts today. We have this
> start-stop-daemon program, which can output things when it does its work.
> It's basically an abstaction layer. We consitently use it. And yet we tell
> it not to output anything, and each and every init script hand-rolls its
> own output.
>
> Does this strike anyone else as a truely bad design?

Uh, as the author of the translation proposal I have to
wholeheartly agree :-)

> - Make start-stop-daemon comply with the policy of what an init script should
>   output. This may require that its interface be modified some. For example,
>   we will have to pass a description of the daemon being started in to it.

Not hard to do.

> - Internationalize start-stop-daemon. So the "Starting", "Stopping", etc
>   messages get translated.

Fine.

> - Internationalize each init script so the text that is passed into
>   start-stop-daemon ("foo bar server", "time waster", "portmap daemon", etc)
>   can be translated. Use Lalo's proposal to do this.

If we already got to this point, I guess it would be easier to
have these strings in start-stop-daemon's own potfile - or at
least, translated by start-stop-daemon. It isn't hard for it to
open another potfile (it's a "text domain" from the POV of a C
program), translate one string, then get back to its own domain.

This also relieves us from the weight of "what is supposed to be
translated and what isn't"; it will translate internal stuff
("Starting %s: %s", "Reloading %s configuration files", etc)
_and_ the "--description" string, period.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.