Re: Translation of init scripts

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 11:41:51PM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg did utter:

> and, since most terminals (console, xterm, vt100, etc) support multiple
> scrolling areas you could split the screen and use the top of the screen
> for those multilanguage start/stop messages, while using the bottom
> of the screen for any other and/or more verbose english output that is
> generated while starting/stopping a service.

I mocked something like this up on my old RH system once - simply with a
shell script that ran linux_logo (or something like that), then redefined the
scrolling area to only exist below the logo. A second script was needed at the
end of the bootup sequence to reinitialise the console to the normal scroll
region.

The second count against that was that the scroll-area only existed within the
viewable screen - so no more shift-pgup to find your new bogomips and the
like... ;)   (I honestly don't recall if this still occured when I
reorganised the scrolling area to be at the top of the screen)

All in all, it was kind of messy - the scrolling area didn't take effect till
the appropriate init scripts kicked in anyways...

Seems to me that given the framebuffer now available, something much smoother
should be accomplishable - but still usefull from a non-fb POV.  With the
appropriate working, maybe the start-stop-daemon can work as an abstraction
layer between teh app and the display, much like the STORM linux install?

(side note: I'd like that kind of abstraction in every X app (and though it
would be useless in some, it would be very usefull in some others IMHO
...but this isn't the place for that ;)

/Nemo
--
 .---------[ Owen Cameron, Wombat, Paddington, nemo, earth native ]---------.