Re: How to access mailserver

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Michael Beattie wrote:

> smtp		stream	tcp	nowait	mail	/usr/sbin/exim exim -bs
>
> (the gaps are TAB's)
I did copied it via mouse `cut-n-paste` (gpm) into inetd.conf
but it did't work.  My solution was to eneable the start of exim
as daemon.  This is the only way it worked for me.

> > Deleting this line I can start exim successfully and fetchmail works
> > correctly.  Now my question is, and in my opinion I'm right now
> > back on the development tree of this question and do legally
> > posting here, why is this not done by default?
>
> As far as I know, it is.
I havn't the faintest idea, why this was not done automatically.
I'll check it if I should install the next box here in the
Win-NT rules house ;-).

> inetd knows about it with the line above.  starting via inetd means that
> less system resources are used when mail is not being processed (less
> memory, cpu usage) Which is a pretty good default for a dialup machine.
I hope that exim does not need so much resources of my PII/266 64MB
machine.  If someone thinks that it is worth the effort I'll try
further investigations.

Kind regards

      Andreas.