Re: Intend to split: zmailer and zmailer-ssl

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > First I thought just moving the package to non-us.debian.org would solve
> > this issue (and actually it does), but Joey (M.S.) convinced me to split
> > the package into a 'normal' package and a ssl-enabled package. The
> > upstream author support such things by creating a 'make dist-usa', which
> > generates a tarball-without-the-cryptographic-hooks.
>
> We already have quite a number of source packages in the archive that have
> crypto hooks, is this really a problem?

It does not link against libssl09 or something like that, but it uses
routines found in the OpenSSL software as skeletons for its own
implementations.

I'm not a lawyer. I don't know whether it's allowed to export this product
from the USA or not, neither does the upstream author claim it is or it is
not (http://www.zmailer.org/crypto.html).

So, if you can tell me what exactly is allowed and what is not, maybe it
turns out I don't need to split the package, I simply don't know. I'm only
trying to make a workaround to prevent "nasty comments from US export
control people".

Regards,
 -Remco