Re: ash vs. bash

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 02:12:30PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
 (...)

 >Currently, I have no idea what exactly you want to make policy:
 >
 >a. Run the startup scripts with ash:

 (...)

 >b. Make ash the /bin/sh default shell.

Yes, (b) is exactly what I would like to see happen.

 >c. Get rid of /bin/bash completely.

Oh, not at all, I didn't mean that. I definitely think most people
(including myself) would like to stick to bash for interactive use;
it should continue to be required, or at least important.

 >First, do b. Then make ash and bash provide posix-shell and some required
 >base package dependant on posix-shell. Then add bash in the dependency field
 >of all packages that depend on bash. Then downgrade bash to important or
 >standard and remove the essential flag.
 >
 >There is probably more to do. I don't know if it is worth it.

Maybe. But once it's done it would be a better setup IMHO. Don't forget
that the advantages in speed and efficiency would propagate to all the
programs that use system(3).

Bye
--
Carlo Strozzi       PGP Public Key fingerprint :
ED 4A 7A 6C 88 66 1B 34  06 14 FC 2E C7 EA F2 EE

Against software patents: http://no-patents.prosa.it