Re: Policy for default mount points?

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 09:37:14PM +1200, Matthew Gregan wrote:
> A brief description of the package - basically it mounts a Psion
> handheld computer so that the files stored on it are accessible via
> the local workstation.
>
> The upstream package defaults to mounting the Psion at
> '/psion.stand/mnt', and the package maintainers before me were
> changing that to '/psion/mnt'. Since both of these are causing the
> package to create a dir off of root, it breaks the FHS (and FSSTND as
> well, I think), and lintian complains. I considered making it
> '/mnt/psion', but '/mnt/ is described as a place for temporary mounts
> anyway (plus lintian complains).

/mnt is the only place that makes sense.  As far as I'm concerned,
"temporary" just means not part of the usual Unix hierarchy.  This might not
seem right at first, but anything else is worse.

Andrew

--
Don't forget that Linux became only possible because 20 years of OS
research was carefully studied, analyzed, discussed and thrown away.