Re: [rules] "config:" -> "build:" -> "stage:" -> "binary:"

    Marcus> That's completely wrong :)

 Oh.

    Marcus> Sorry, but you should have taken a look at the recent
    Marcus> packaging manual, section 3.1.8 and 3.2.1. The
    Marcus> debian/rules make file will get the following make
    Marcus> variables passed on by dpkg-buildpackage:

    Marcus> DEB_{BUILD,HOST}_{ARCH,GNU_{CPU,TYPE,SYSTEM}}

 I read that, but it went right by me.  (Must have been the woman
 sunbathing on the lawn outside my window.)

    Marcus> The difference between build and host is for cross
    Marcus> compilation purpose.  The *_ARCH is the Debian name (i386,
    Marcus> hurd-i386, alpha etc).  GNU_SYSTEM = $GNU_CPU-$GNU_TYPE is
    Marcus> the GNU architecture specification string.

 Ok... (and I saw your correction; _TYPE -> _SYSTEM)

    Marcus> Please, this is important to make this work: Do not mess
    Marcus> around with uname and other stuff. Just accept the above
    Marcus> make variables, and everything will work fine. You should
    Marcus> not use "debian" as the vendor by the way, see Debian
    Marcus> policy section 5.1

 Alright...  I see.  I've changed my rules scripts.  After I get them
 a little farther along, will you look them over please?  I try and
 remember to let you know when I'm ready.

    Marcus> To support old packaging build, insert:

 Done.