Re: WARNING: APT removes bash on slink upgrade

> Le 1999-08-12, Jason Gunthorpe _crivait :
>
> > This is due to a recent bash NMU which now pre-depends on the potato
> > libreadlineg2 which conflicts with the slink bash.
> >
> > Bash -MUST- be re-uploaded with the proper changes made so that it can
> > exist with the slink libreadlineg2 ASAP.
>
> This is not so simple. Bash is unusable with slink's libreadline.
> Three bugs of severity important existed in the BTS for this
> problem, which the recent NMU attempts to fix: #35130, #39280, #41802.
>
> On the other hand, the current libreadline is binary-incompatible
> with the slink bash, so the conflicts: cannot be removed; the
> major version on libreadline should have been bumped when
> libreadline was first compiled against glibc 2.1.
>
> More generally, it is unfortunate that such intricated dependencies
> exist between bash and libreadline, with bash being a package of
> paramount importance for the operation of the whole system.
> Maybe it would be preferrable to link bash statically and get rid
> of its dependency on readline. On the other hand, such important
> change is far out of the scope of an NMU.
>
> For now I can reupload bash with the latest change undone. Unfortunately,
> this means that an important problem which renders bash unusable will
> have to stay open.

>From what I recall from the GNU ftp site, bash-2.04 includes
libreadline-4.0, so the major number *has* been bumped up.  Perhaps we
could switch to that which might alleviate this problem?

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg