Re: [RFD] install criticisms

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 07:32:48AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 11:25:22PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > >  * Please direct replies to -boot, please keep me Cc'd as I am not
> > >  * subscribed to that list, thankyou.
> > >  *
> > >  * ObDevelAnnounce: I want this to reach all developers so they are at
> > >  * least aware of the criticisms raised.  Discussion from this point on
> > >  * should happen in -boot, not -devel-announce for obvious reasons.
> I should have sent the message to -boot and then commented about it on
> -devel-announce.

No, you shouldn't have. "Joseph Carter posted a message in debian-boot" is
not something that needs to be announced to all developers.

You should have posted to -boot, had a discussion and written some
code. That's all.

> On the other hand, you decided that you should add more noise to the lists
> by posting a pointless "why was this off topic message posted here?"
> message.

Oh, good grief. Do you *have* to go on the offensive everytime anyone
criticises you? It's tiresome and irritating.

Discussion of a list's charter is almost always on topic for that list,
anyway. The only time when it's not is when discussion isn't on topic
(hence the message was moved to -devel, which is a discussion list), or
when there's another list for discussing such things (which there isn't).

> This message should have been sent to me and me alone if
> anywhere.

No, it shouldn't. There's always a chance that the message *was* on topic,
in which case you should get to say "Yes, it was on topic" and all those
who were confused about the issue can learn what the proper usage of
-devel-announce is. And if it wasn't, there's probably a reasonable
number of people out there who have the same mistaken impression you did,
and would do the same in future. Even worse, there are probably people
who would've seen your message, seen the lack of complaint, and decided
that whatever they previously thought, it obviously *is* okay to post
cute discussion ideas to -devel-announce.

Which it isn't.

> The same goes for anyone else who has a problem with anything I
> post. No promises I'll read it and even less promises I'll reply and beg
> your forgiveness, still..  To the complaint of off-topic posting to the
> list, I can only say:  Pot, kettle, black.

Except that neither Hamish nor I suggested this was off topic for
-devel. It isn't. -devel is a discussion list.

> As for not being subscribed to -boot, I'm likely to soon not be subscribed
> to -devel most likely because of senseless noise and the difficulty of
> sifting through it for something worth reading and additional time
> constraints that will likely make doing so a waste of valuable study time.

That's nice. Be sure to post an announcement to -devel-announce when you
unsubscribe, I'm sure it's something all developers are interested in
knowing too.

Sheesh.

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds