Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

* Justin Wells said:

> > A better option is to make an alternative UID 0 user with sash that is not
> > root.  However, this introduces a security hole.
>
> It introduces no security hole, and is a reasonable idea. (Or if it does
> open a security hole, then there is a bug in Debian).
However it creates a small problem. sulogin uses the root account to provide
a single mode prompt, it cannot (without modifications) use another UID 0
account. To use the other privileged account you'd have to login as root
(which might not be possible - that's what this thread is about :)) and then
su - to that other account. So, it might seem that the idea of another
account is good, but without some other modifications it's not quite that
practical. However, you're perfectly right - it crates no security hole.

> However, I have always been in favour of root having a shell without
> command history and such, since it discourages people from using
> root unless they have to.
Of course! Using the root shell interactively and comfortably makes people
sit logged in as root all the time and make many stupid mistakes.

> >     I disagree and have been telling you what is wrong with the whole idea
> > several times.  You just don't want to listen.
>
> It has more or less amounted to "I don't like it, go away", and "nope,
> never happened to me", and "I like boot disks" so far as I can tell.
exactly... Steve, if we could hear at least one sensible argument from
you...

marek