Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

* Steve Willer said:

> On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Justin Wells wrote:
>
> > So you need a way to get a root shell, without rebooting. That means
> > you either need to log in as root (where root's shell is sash), or
> > else su to root.
>
> [or log in as that other uid=0 user]
Provided you're at the console.

> > sulogin is needed in case you switch runlevels, dropping to single
> > user mode without rebooting, via a direct call to init.
>
> I think you can do this without sulogin. Use the built-in 'ed' or 'echo'
> to output a runlevel to /etc/initrunlvl, then send SIGHUP to init
> (remember, kill and ps are built-in to sash as well). If you just want to
> reboot, send SIGINT to pretend ctrl-alt-del. I haven't tried these yet,
> but the init man page says you can do it...
It also says the following:

'Runlevel S or s bring the system to single user mode and do not require an
/etc/inittab file.  In a single user mode, /sbin/sulogin is invoked on
/dev/console'

As a side note... I wonder whether it is possible to use a normal serial
modem to log directly into the console... Linux can use serial port on the
console, and some Motorola modems (and some Zoltrix ones AFAIR) have a small
OS built-in that allows a pass-through connection... Has anyone ever tried
it?

marek