Re: imagemagick and imagemagick-nonfree issue

On 99-08-21 Andreas Tille wrote:
> libmagick4g-lzw library, which I installed.  Now I really wonder
> how that could be, that a set of packages which has the same
> upstream source is produced from different source packages.

Well, to check it for here's the extract from /var/lib/dpkg/available:

|Package: libmagick4g-lzw
|Section: non-free/graphics
|Maintainer: Scott K. Ellis <scott@debian.org>
|Source: imagemagick-nonfree
|Version: 4.0.4-3
|Replaces: libmagick, libmagick-lzw, libmagick4g
|Depends: freetype1, libc6, libhdf4g (>= 4.0), libjpegg6a, libmpeg1, libpng2, libti
|ff3g, xlib6g (>= 3.3-5), zlib1g
|Conflicts: libmagick, libmagick-lzw, libmagick4g

|Package: libmagick4g
|Section: graphics
|Maintainer: Scott K. Ellis <scott@debian.org>
|Source: imagemagick
|Version: 4.2.8-3
|Replaces: libmagick, libmagick-lzw, libmagick4g-lzw
|Depends: libc6, libc6 (>= 2.1), libjpeg62, libpng2, libtiff3g, xlib6g (>= 3.3.3.1-
|1), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.3)
|Conflicts: libmagick, libmagick-lzw, libmagick4g-lzw

> I consider this as an importand bug.

I would agree with Andreas at this point.

> In fact I would try to fix this situation because Christian Kurz
> wanted to deal with his smail package first (which might be more

Not, not my smail-package. I'm preparing a bugfix and maybe a NMU, but
also contacted Soenke, the maintainer of smail about this.

Cheers
       Christian
* Christian Kurz                          Debian Developer/QA-Team *
*               Use Debian - a free Operating System               *