Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On 23-Aug-99, 14:30 (CDT), Justin Wells <jread@semiotek.com> wrote:

> Steve, it's remarkably difficult to construct a shell script that depends
> on root's declared shell in /etc/passwd. I don't believe any exist.

Fine. That's not what was said.

> Cron never uses it, the system startup utilities never use it, and I've
> never encountered anything else that ever used it either.

Great. That's your experience. However, it's not mine. I'll give a
concrete example: The Foxboro I/A DCS system uses Sun SPARCs with lots
of custom software for user interfaces and application hosting. For some
reason, /bin/csh is set up as the root shell (hey, I didn't make that
decision, I've never even worked for Foxboro). Changing it to sh or ksh
breaks the system utterly (yes, mostly because the people writing the
software were careless or clueless or both).

You're correct: it's not Linux. My point is that *you don't know* about
how a given system might be used or misused. Many of us have learned to
be cautious about screwing with root's shell. If you want to experiment
on your systems, fine. Just don't insist on experimenting on mine.