Re: new LaTeX2e

From: Michael Piefel <piefel@informatik.hu-berlin.de>
Subject: Re: new LaTeX2e
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:47:41 +0200

> > The present LaTeX2e of Debian shows
> >
> > 	This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
> > 	(simple.tex
> > 	LaTeX2e <1998/12/01> patch level 1
>
> Don't you think that's already quite recent? Usually the changes between the
> releases are not even enough to excite the addicts (including myself) on
> comp.text.tex and the like.

You are right and reasonable, I agree. Really I think also there
are no important differences between 19990601 version and 19981201
version of LaTeX.

The reason why I ask this question is that there is Japanized
TeX/LaTeX system in Japan and there is already Japanized LaTeX
based on LaTeX 19990601 version and I want to use that :)

But I have few more questions about tetex package.

1. If LaTeX is separated (multi-)package from tetex, then
at least it is easy to update personally part of LaTeX.
How about this ?

2. To make Japanized LaTeX's format file (*.fmt), at least *.ltx
ltdirchk.dtx docstrip.dtx ltvers.dtx are needed in
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base. This situation may occur in other
revised LaTeX (I am not sure if there are really any other such LaTeX).
Isn't it better to include above files in some package, for example,
in tetex-dev ?

Thanks in advance,		1999.8.24

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>