Re: group video?

Kenneth MacDonald <kenny@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> writes:

> Yes, I thought this too.  And yes, it does concern me, especially as I
> plug in external SCSI devices from time to time.  The safest thing
> would be to have a script run at system boot that sets the permissions
> on the appropriate sg files depending on the contents of
> /proc/scsi/blah-blah-blah.

Or you could use scsidev (in hwtools?) which makes sure that the same
name always points to the same device, regardless of it's scsi ID
number or position on the chain.  You can even assign the names and
permissions you want.

I used it for a while, then it broke badly with some libc or kernel
upgrade and I fixed it and sent in the patches, and now I think it's
working again.  You basically tell it how to identify a device
(usually via serial number and/or vendor) and what name you want it to
have (i.e. /dev/scsi/burner1), and at startup, it makes sure all the
device files it's managing have the right names.  The only thing it
can't do is handle the root partition properly since that's used long
before the scsidev gets a chance to run.