Re: FS Corruption

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Robert Thomson wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 09:56:34PM -0400, Steve Przepiora wrote:
>
> > My system follows:
> > AMD K6 266 OC'd to 300 running on 100mhz bus with PC100 RAM
> > VIA chipset (dont remember the number, but its the one included in the 2.2.x kernels)
> > Maxtor 11.6 G drive in UDMA mode
>
> I'd install 2.2.12, or stick with 2.0.  Some 2.2 kernels had a well-known
> file-system corruption problem which I believe (assume) is fixed in 2.2.12.
>
> <time passes and I notice I haven't sent this email yet>
>
> Apparently, 2.2.11 fixed this problem.. I'm running 2.2.10ac10 (Alan Cox's
> kernel) at the moment, without problems.

I'm having the same problem, did some research, and there seems to be a
problem with DMA for the VIA chipset.  This jives well with the fact that
my drive works like champ when I turn DMA off.  (Of course it's @#$!
slow.)  Taken from Configure.help for the 2.2.11 kernel:

CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO
  Prior to kernel version 2.1.112, Linux used to automatically use
  DMA for IDE drives and chipsets which support it. Due to concerns
  about a couple of cases where buggy hardware may have caused damage,
  the default is now to NOT use DMA automatically. To revert to the
  previous behaviour, say Y to this question.

  If you suspect your hardware is at all flakey, say N here.
  Do NOT email the IDE kernel people regarding this issue!

  It is normally safe to answer Y to this question unless your
  motherboard uses a VIA VP2 chipset, in which case you should say N.
                     ***************

But also see:

VIA82C586 chipset support (EXPERIMENTAL)
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82C586
  This adds initial timing settings for VIA (U)DMA onboard ide
  controllers that are ATA3 compliant. May work with ATA4 systems, but
  not tested to date.

  If you say Y here, you also need to say Y to "Use DMA by default
  when available", above.

  If unsure, say N.

HtH,
tony