Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

Dale Scheetz wrote:
> [...] By this long indirect route,
> glibc becomes dependent for its construction upon an optional package.
> This chain elevates debhelper to the defacto level of standard...and there
> is no reason for it to do so. (see later rant)

No, such priority chains only apply to binary dependencies.  For source
dependencies, all that counts is that packages in main can be built with
packages in main.

I don't think we should worry about bootstrapping issues until we
have source dependencies in place.

As for byacc, it's "extra" because it performs the same task as bison,
which is "standard".

Richard Braakman