Re: Senseless Bickering and Overpoliticization

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Anthony Towns wrote:

> > Very little indeed, despite
> > the thousands of messages that have flowed past.  Yet more flamewars
> > about FHS transitions, with still no resolution and more pointless
> > bickering.  Debates about who has authority to do what, discussions
> > about utterly useless or trivial points, etc. are frequent.
>
> So?
>
> As long as we keep doing all the work in the background, who cares?

Obviosly two people care. I would like to take a moment to point out to
two formal resignations we've had this month. Both specificly cited the
flamewars, glacial speed and increasing bureaucracy. I didn't see much in
the way of concern over their departures, but it upset me.

I have no count of how many people have ceased reading lists like -policy,
-devel and -private simply because they are sick of reading the flames and
watching the bile fly. Believe me though, it's happening.

It seems alot of people are forgetting the main reason the project exists
at all is simple cooperation. Working in the background doesn't accomplish
much if we cannot meet in the middle and decide where to go!

Each day I get to talk to alot of people inside and outside the project,
and one of the biggest complaints I hear is: "It's not fun anymore".

How long before there is nobody left?

Think about it,
Jason