Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)

From: Changwoo RYU <cwryu@adam.kaist.ac.kr>
Subject: Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)
Date: 31 Aug 1999 20:22:55 +0900

> Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:
>
> > > lynx-ja: *
> > > 	This is NLS handling patched version.
> >
> > Then it's improperly named.  Why can't standard lynx support NLS?
>
> I just checked the source because I have known lynx already supported
> NLS.  It seems to be disabled in upstream.  I don't know why.

I do not know either so I already submitted BTS :)

lynx-ja have not only NLS support but many other useful tricks
for Japanese user. It contains much complete ja.po and
applied multibyte patch for Japanese input.

> IMHO, the Japanese hackers (patch creators) tend to make barriers
> around their patches.  I know many "Japanese" patches are general i18n
> ones.  But many of them do never reach to the upstreams at all, while
> the patches are well known to Japanese user groups.  (I don't blame
> anyone.  Unfortunately, so do Korean hackers.  This fact really
> irritates me.)

Please do not think like that. I think that Japanese
hackers may have tendency to think that their patch is not
yet enough complete to send it to upstream authors.

			   1999.9.1
--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>