Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 05:06:11PM -0500, Mr. Christopher F. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 01:40:03PM -0700, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> > > Another issue that needs to be addressed here is that Perl
> > > has become a VERY standard part of ANY UNIX type OS.  Because
>

> Perl may or may not be inevitable, but what about this in
> /etc/init.d/lprng?
>
> test -f $DAEMON -a -d /usr/doc/lprng || exit 0
>
> Why should the operation of a daemon depend on its
> documentation?

This is for proper compatibility with lpr.  There can be a case when lprng
is removed, but the conffiles (in this case, the init script) stay.  As both
lprng and lpr provide a /usr/sbin/lpd binary, an extra check is neccessary.
If you have a better suggestion, please let me and the lprng maintainer
know.

> We, for example, keep our docs on a single machine
> NFS mounted on our network. But now at boot time the
> default script for lprng dies silently.
>
> I'd not mind if it printed a message about where to
> find docs to the console.

Adam Klein (lpr maintainer)