Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

Hi,
>>"Dale" == Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

 Dale> So, before I can build the helper tool I must be able to build
 Dale> perl-5.005.

        Yes. And once you have bootstrapped, this shall never be a
 problem.

 Dale> This is exactly the creaping featurism I'm trying to address here

        What is the motivation here? A one time bootstrap of a build
 system for a new port is not enough, I'm afraid.

 Dale> My point is that we have dropped restrictions on install
 Dale> scripts to the point that anything is likely to appear as an obstruction
 Dale> to the build process. Perl is only one example.

        This is not an install script. This is a buyild rule. There is
 a major difference. I would agree for install scripts. Not for build scripts.
 You seem to be confusing them all over again ;-)

        manoj

--
 It is much easier to be critical than to be correct. Benjamin
 Disraeli