Re: Tcl-ja/Tk-ja (Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja))

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> From: David Welton <davidw@master.debian.org>
> Subject: Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)
> Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 13:07:57 -0500
>
> > On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 02:46:39AM +0900, Masato Taruishi wrote:
> >
> > > Becase new tcl/tk8.1 is inmplementing Unicode support, we will be not
> > > to need -ja. But tcl/tk8.1 is not currently released and dupload to
> > > Debian, too. So I need to dupload them to Debian as temporary needs.
> > > (I think of Debian as the pool of all free software, not of Debian-JP.)
> >
> > Debian is skipping 8.1 and going to 8.2, which has been uploaded.
>
> I tried 8.2 but I could not input Japanese text.
> I can do with -ja version.

Then file a bug report against tcl-8.2 saying it doesn't support unicode
as it should. It may be something as simple as bad compilation flags,
but this does *NOT* justifies a package fork.
(If we had to fork each buggy package, we'd have about 600 versions of
dpkg by now ;).

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS  vincent@{{ldsol,pipo}.com,{debian,openhardware}.org} -