Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 08:53:23AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Having a subset of perl in the base system is part of the cause for
> perls apparent "instability". The fact that you can pre-depend on this
> limited perl, and use perl in the package build, opens the door to the
> use of non-supported-by-base-perl instructions in the package build.
> Because the maintainer is a perl buff, and has all the perl extensions
> and libraries installed, he never notices the slight "creep" away from
> the designated features of the tool set.

The real problem is that we do not have anything like a working source
dependency system yet.  At the moment, I don't think we can even build
all the packages on the same system (for example where different packages
have conflicting source requirements).

I'd like to see something analogous to gcc's stage2/stage3 mechanism for
debian -- this would supplement lintian checks and give us some level of
assurance that we really have the right source for the software we're
distributing.  It's a scary project though (imagine how many times X
would have to be built during the normal bugfix process before we were
ready for a release).

--
Raul