Re: Debian-JP discussions; lets wrap this up

From: Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl>
Subject: Debian-JP discussions; lets wrap this up
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 14:54:37 +0200

> Okay, we've been discussing this for a while now and I think it's time
> to wrap this one up. All arguments have been made by now and it's been a

Sorry but No. I think not all arguments have been made yet.

> Finally I also have a comment on the patches themselves: it seems that a
> lot of the multibyte-patches contain changes that are not related to
> multibyte support but do things like add support for DOS and Windows
> systems or change generated files (like configure, config.h.in,
> Makefile.in, etc.). This makes it unnecessary hard to merge those
> patches.

But please note that in many cases it is very reasonable
to modify configure etc. For example if some application is
modified to support Japanese, then it needs to 'configure'
- papersize default(from US letter to A4 for example)
- select Japanese font(like what normal font and what gothic font)
- what kind of method to use for Japanese font(vflib for example)

furthermore if it relates to TeX

- which TeX to use(there are 2 Japanized TeX !)
- what command to use for print dvi(there are many Japanized dvi drivers)
etc. etc....

If the author ignore these seetings in configure script
the application can not be said to be reasonably Japanized.

You say simply 'This makes it unnecessary hard to merge those
patches' but please note it is essentially hard to properly
merge.

Please read carefully