login problems

Hi. I just finally got potato reinstalled yesterday, and was using it last
night just fine, setting everything up. This morning when I booted it, I
came to the login prompt, and I can't login anymore. Here's the output:

glitch login: jmevatt
Invalid Login

glitch login: root
Invalid Login

I forgot if "Invalid Login" is the error message it gives, but the point is,
it wont let me give it a password anymore. It's not a bash problem is it?
Please help :)

- webfreak
P.S: note that i'm not subscribed to debian-devel anymore, so please cc
replies to me directly. Thanks.