Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

Joey Hess wrote:
> Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > For a longe time now APT has had a special 'apt' target in it's
> > debian/rules files, it builds only the main APT .deb and none of the other
> > add-on debs. It might be really nice to have that same thing for the main
> > x libs. To port alot of stuff you really need xlib, but the X servers
> > can really wait.. (In particular I just futzed with this on ARM!)
>
> Hm, I'd like to see something like that in nearly every multi-binary
> package, myself. And debhelper at least does make this sort of thing pretty
> easy. We'd just have to figure out how to consitently name the targets..

I guess it would be useful to be able to build each package from a
multi-binary package on their own.  The drawback is that *many* packages
need to be changed and not every maintainer is able to work on this.
And we would not gain much from it, since it would be only needed in
rare cases of an incomplete port.

Regards,

	Joey

--
The only stupid question is the unasked one.