Re: Debian-JP discussions; lets wrap this up

From: Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl>
Subject: Re: Debian-JP discussions; lets wrap this up
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 18:30:55 +0200

> Previously Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> > But please note that in many cases it is very reasonable
> > to modify configure etc.
>
> But since configure is a generated file the patch should only modify
> configure.in. The same holds for Makefile, which can be generated by
> Makefile.in, which itself can be generated by Makefile.am. etc. etc.

Yes I understand your point but sorry I am not sure if this is because
there are really technical difficulties or simply because an author
of patch hastes his work. But, in any way, it is great help for us
to be able to use Japanization (or I18N) patches for useful applications.

To rearrange the patch for Debian's (or Free Software World's)
needs may be the next step, I think.

Note that usually the patches are created outside Debian (and/or
Debian JP) as Sano san pointed out in another e-mail and the authors
of patch might start their work with their own motivations and/or aims.
If their motivation or aims do not fit thoes of Debian we can not
accuse them.

> > modified to support Japanese, then it needs to 'configure'
> > - papersize default(from US letter to A4 for example)
>
> I'm not sure changing the upstream default here makes sense, since no
> default will work for everyone anyway. In this particular case one

In this poit I wanted to say that an author of Japanization patch
will do his best to make the application to fit for usual Japanese
users so it may contain some possible conflict settings for general
purpose.

So to rearrange the patch for Debian's needs may be the next step again.

> I still think that it makes more sense to seperate those patches into
> multiple ones though.

Yes, I think that it makes much more sense to seperate those
patches into multiple ones ideally, I agree.

But as I said it may be the next step.

The most important point is we need more communication to make
good collaboration. And to do this it will take long time,
really long time, not in the level of CPU but in the level of
everyday life, although many of you said 'a bit longer'....

Thanks in advance,		1999.9.6

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>