cross-overwrites in packages

I have just updated blt and blt-dev. One of the changes was to move something
from blt to blt-dev, and another change was to move something from blt-dev to
blt. Now when apt updates to the new versions it reports errors in
both packages wrt trying to overwrite a file which belongs to the other package.

- Firstly, according to the packaging manual, --force-overwrite is the default
  installation method, so why is an error (and not just a warning reported).

- Secondly, what is the fix? Do I make blt replace blt-dev, and blt-dev replace
  blt? Surely this is not the best solution??

G.

--
Gordon Russell
http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~gor