Re: Release-critical Bugreport for September 3, 1999

On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 11:10:22PM +1000, you wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 12:15:05AM -0500, BugScan reporter wrote:
> > Bug stamp-out list for Sep  3 00:03 (CST)
> >
> > Total number of release-critical bugs: 243
>
> Can we clarify the meaning of "release-critical"?
>
> Many of these bugs are certainly critical bugs in their respective
> packages. However, the package's priority within the distribution must
> be taken in to account when describing a bug as release-critical,

Agreed. It's a little annoying to hear people say things like "we have
thirty-bazillion RCB's, so we can't possibly release debian 2.2 until
the turn of the century," when some of the RCB's are for packages that
have *never worked* (e.g., xemacs21). It would be nice if there was an
easy way to determine which RCBs will actually delay the release, and
which will be dropped or ignored, so bug-swatters could better focus
their efforts.

Mike Stone