Re: /usr/etc and /usr/local/etc?

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 09:20:32PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 03:43:07AM -0700, Steve Bowman wrote:
> > > I think if you are going to use /usr/etc, programs should first check
> > > /etc, in case the system administrator wishes to override the sharable
> > > config file for the given host.
> >
> > This is a good idea for programs that live in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin, but
> > would require program support to check for configs in multiple locations.
> > However, I suggest that programs living in /bin and /sbin MUST have
> > their configs in /etc in case /usr is not available.
>
> What files would you consider fall into this catagory?

Well, I was speaking hypothetically; however, I just did a quick check
on the 780 packages I have installed as follows (extracted from history):

  600  cd /var/lib/dpkg/info
  603  egrep "^/bin/|^/sbin/" *.list > /tmp/tmp.pkginfo
  605  cd /tmp
  607  cut -f1 -d':' tmp.pkginfo | sort -u > /tmp/tmp.pkginfo2
  610  sed s/\.list$// tmp.pkginfo2 > tmp.pkginfo3
  616  for i in `cat tmp.pkginfo3`; do cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/$i.conffiles; done > tmp.pkginfo4 2>/dev/null

And here's the output file (tmp.pkginfo4):

/etc/ae.rc
/etc/profile
/etc/skel/.bash_profile
/etc/skel/.bashrc
/etc/console-tools/config
/etc/init.d/keymaps-lct.sh
/etc/init.d/console-screen.sh
/etc/init.d/hwtools
/etc/isapnp.conf
/etc/init.d/isapnp
/etc/isapnp.gone
/etc/security/access.conf
/etc/security/group.conf
/etc/security/limits.conf
/etc/security/pam_env.conf
/etc/security/time.conf
/etc/conf.linuxconf
/etc/init.d/linuxconf
/etc/logrotate.d/linuxconf
/etc/pam.d/linuxconf
/etc/login.defs
/etc/pam.d/login
/etc/pam.d/su
/etc/init.d/logoutd
/etc/init.d/makedev
/etc/init.d/mdutils
/etc/mgetty/login.config
/etc/mgetty/dialin.config
/etc/mgetty/sendfax.config
/etc/mgetty/mgetty.config
/etc/mgetty/new_fax
/etc/cron.daily/mgetty
/etc/issue.mgetty
/etc/cron.d/modutils
/etc/init.d/modutils
/etc/init.d/kerneld
/etc/modules
/etc/modutils/aliases
/etc/modutils/paths
/etc/modutils/arch/i386
/etc/modutils/arch/m68k.generic
/etc/modutils/arch/m68k.amiga
/etc/modutils/arch/m68k.atari
/etc/modutils/arch/m68k.mac
/etc/init.d/inetd
/etc/init.d/portmap
/etc/init.d/networking
/etc/cron.daily/netbase
/etc/gateways
/etc/protocols
/etc/services
/etc/hosts.allow
/etc/hosts.deny
/etc/rpc
/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/netgroup
/etc/init.d/nis
/etc/ypserv.conf
/etc/ypserv.securenets
/etc/yp.conf
/var/yp/Makefile
/etc/init.d/setserial
/etc/serial.conf
/etc/syslog.conf
/etc/init.d/sysklogd
/etc/cron.daily/sysklogd
/etc/cron.weekly/sysklogd
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
/etc/init.d/checkfs.sh
/etc/init.d/checkroot.sh
/etc/init.d/halt
/etc/init.d/hostname.sh
/etc/init.d/mountall.sh
/etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh
/etc/init.d/reboot
/etc/init.d/rmnologin
/etc/init.d/sendsigs
/etc/init.d/single
/etc/init.d/umountfs
/etc/init.d/urandom
/etc/init.d/hwclock.sh
/etc/fdprm
/etc/pam.d/kbdrate

And then, there's the packages I don't have installed that didn't get
checked.  I think there's a few files missing that are built during
installation, by postinst's, or by hand, too, including

/etc/hosts (you or someone already mentioned)
/etc/fstab
/etc/lilo.conf
/etc/exports

and there may be others since searching for these isn't so easy.
Some of these could probably be shared anyway, such as /etc/login.defs
to establish a common policy across machines or /etc/init.d/halt since
there's no obvious reason why it needs to be customized.  In fact,
most of the init.d scripts could probably be shared....  But again,
what if /usr isn't available because, say, the network's down.

BTW, I *like* the idea of moving stuff out of /etc to /usr/etc or
maybe /usr/local/etc.  It's not the /etc is too big, it's too messy.
I just think that stuff in /bin and /sbin set an upper bound on what
can be moved without breaking things.

Regards,
Steve Bowman