start daemons according to current runlevel upon upgrade

MoiN

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 12:37:48PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 12:14:11AM +0200, Ingo Saitz wrote:
> > Perhaps every postinst shold do something like this:
> >   if test -e /etc/rc`runlevel | cut -d\  -f2`.d/S??$DAEMON; then
> >     /etc/init.d/$DAEMON start
> >   fi
>
> This doesn't work for people using file-rc (which uses files to describe
> runlevels instead of directories and symlinks).

OK, you're right. But that would be too complicated to include it
in every postinst skript.

I have created two scripts named start-rc.d. One for runlevel links and
one for file-rc. I think, they should be included in the corresponding
packages which contain the update-rc.d skript (dpkg and file-rc).

I have attached these two files to this email. Please have a look if you
like them and feel free to include them.

I think that every package that would start a daemon in its postinst
should use these files to start it.

    Ingo
--
What's the difference between cold tee and cold coffee?
  Cold coffe doesn't taste good even if it would still be hot.