Suggestion [was: Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate]

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 02:55:01PM -0400, Clint Adams wrote:
> > Of course.  Now if you built them yourself, dpkg wouldn't touch them.
>
> If I wanted to build them myself, I would use Slackware.
> If I repackage them I will need to remove the Conflicts line from
> the control files every single time I upgrade.

Then here's the deal. You have two choices:

1) fetch the debs of each, run ar x, unpack data.tar.gz from /tmp, and move
everything over to /usr/local
2) fetch the sources of each (apt makes this easy), add a high-numbered
epoch to the beginning of their versions in debian/control. Then remove the
Conflicts: lines from each control file, build, install....

The epoch is to 1) save you from the trouble of placing the package on hold
and 2) keep apt from upgrading your changes away. I'd pick a reasonably high
number that the package maint will never get to, say 9:

of course, the more reasonable solution would be to make the packages
coexist with update-alternatives. If the programs are called in different
ways, but perform the same function, I have two words: WRAPPER SCRIPTS. If
this were set up properly in the distribution, the administrator could then
make any changes he deemed useful to the default configuration.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..avancouw@calpoly.edu.. ..aaronv@debian.org..
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org