Re: Excessive root usage in Debian

On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 06:59:19AM -0700, Robert Jones wrote:

> I find it amusing that we discuss such things after the Linux Myths document.
> We have a very elegant system for giving privileges to people.  Let's use it
> -- putting all the system-maintenance routines under the ownership of a group
> would be a good start, imho.
>
> Of course, it's early in the morning.  I could be missing something obvious.
> :)

When we do this, we better start to register the owner, group and
permissions in dpkg's database for recovery, too.

When someone replaces a file as root and suddenly the upgrade breaks because
the ownership isn't correct, then we make it hard for our users to find out
what's wrong.

Currently, we have little to offer for error recovery: dpkg doesn't have
md5sums of all files and no other information (like ownership/perms).

Thanks,
Marcus