Re: [OT] Good c++ book

Ben Pfaff wrote:

> "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org> writes:
>
> > > Go buy a good C++ book, as the saying goes :-)
> >
> > So, any recommendations for a reference that covers ANSI/ISO standard c++?
> > All I've seen is the usual Herb Schildt,
> > recycled-the-same-book-for-the-51st-time-with-a-different-cover crap.
>
> Buy a copy of the ISO C++ standard.  $20 for a .PDF of it online, I
> understand.  You can't go with the Standard.

Unless, as I do, you disapprove of the fact that ISO copyrights its
standards in order to make money - they're a public service
organisation, which have lost sight of why they exist.

They don't, for example, exist in order to make it illegal for me to
duplicate the ISO standard for the benefit of (say) some student
programmers I know who can't afford $20.

[If it turns out that I would actually be allowed to do this, I eat my
words.  But that's not the impression I got last time I checked]

In this circumstance, I recommend Stroustrup (which covers almost all of
the standard), since his editorial asides are instructive, and it's
presented in a more tutorial style.

I have heard recommended 'Effective C++' and 'More effective C++', also,
but I haven't got around to reading them.

'Design Patterns'  should be compulsory reading for anyone working in OO
design.

Since this is moderately off-topic, anyone else disagreeing or wanting
advice can email me personally.

Better still, go to www.deja.com, and search comp.lang.c++.moderated.
THe 'good book' thread comes up regularly there.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |