Re: HOWTO: making a package which compiles fine on slink and potato

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Joel Klecker wrote:
[...]
> /usr/share/lib is not FHS conformant, architecture independant data
> either goes in /usr/share/<package> or a single data file can be
> placed in /usr/share/misc.

I didn't interpret the FHS 2.0 in this way, it just says:

  Any program or package which contains or requires data that doesn't need
  to be modified should store that data in /usr/share (or
  /usr/local/share, if installed locally). It is recommended that a
  subdirectory be used in /usr/share for this purpose.

and I thought it was allowed to have not package-specific subdirectories
in /usr/share other than the ones explicitly listed by the FHS.
But I agree it's very reasonable practice.

> Don't use /var/state, it's not in FHS 2.1.
Have they dropped it again? Good! (Is an official draft of 2.1 available
somewhere on the net?)

Yours,

Bj"orn Brill <brill@fs.math.uni-frankfurt.de>
Frankfurt am Main, Germany