Re: Packaging Cyrus

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 07:46:44PM +0000 utsl@utsl.org wrote:
> Thank you for asking. In fact, I need to withdraw that... My company uses
> Cyrus in production, and we're so upset with it, we're about to replace it.
> We've decided to use qmail with a virtual domain system. (vchkpw)

OK. I'm gonna have a go and packaging it, and if that works out I'll
do an ITP. Integrating it into the FHS could be a bit ikky tho', not
to mention build problems (I've already found problems in the autoconf
setup of cyrus-sasl).

> At present, I have this new solution to the point that it works with POP,
> IMAP, and a web mail client. (Which I'm using now, btw.) All of these work
> with separate virtual domains, and vastly easier administration.

I'm basically looking for an easy system that can provide POP and
(preferably) IMAP accounts without requiring users to have accounts.
I really don't want to have to hack qpopper to support non /etc/passwd
user lookups.

> Because of some nightmarish problems with Cyrus (multi-day outages!), I
> don't recommend it's use. Also, it is considerably more "non-free" than the
> qmail solution I'm using. (Qmail isn't quite free, but it's not as nasty.
> The other modules are GPL'ed.) And it works much better. :-)

qmail isn't an option for me - I want to use Exim or postfix (preferably
the former).

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner          | http://www.edr.uct.ac.za/~mj/