Re: Stop archive bloat: 47MB gmt-coast-full_19991001-1.deb

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 07:13:10PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 01:43:42AM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > On 18 Oct 1999, Philippe Troin wrote:
> > > Do we really need a 47MB file that will be useful to maybe 10 people
> > > using Debian (at most) ? We already fill 5+ CDs...
> > On the same subject, the Debian archive is now 10.8G in size, at the
> > current rate of growth a majority of the mirrors will likely stop
> > mirroring non-i386 [...]
[..]

> Another idea might be to extend Apt to cope with non-Deb sources, so we
> don't have to package everything ourselves. CPAN, CTAN, and the Gutenburg
> project come to mind, eg. Having the LDP docs, the RFCs and kernel sources
> `outsourced' might be reasonable too.

[...]

And another option might be to allow apt-get to query a database of URIs.
This database will be the thing to mirror. And when you ask for a package,
to a trusted database, you get an URI and some control data, and can then
download and verify a package stocked anywhere on the net.

Just a thought.
--
Thierry LARONDE
thierry.laronde@polynum.com