perhaps sort by priority?

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 12:39:55PM -0500, Kevin Bullock wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > On 18 Oct 1999, Philippe Troin wrote:
> > > Do we really need a 47MB file that will be useful to maybe 10 people
> > > using Debian (at most) ? We already fill 5+ CDs...
> > On the same subject, the Debian archive is now 10.8G in size, at the
> > current rate of growth a majority of the mirrors will likely stop
> > mirroring non-i386 by the end of next year and if things continue in two
> > release time we will be like 20G big and we won't even be able to mirror
> > it ourselves!
>
> The problem that we face compared to a model like Windows or MacOS is that
> we have the operating system plus *all* application software housed at the
> same place. That means we necessarily have a huge archive, if we want the
> same kind of functionality.

> [...]

> So here's my idea. I think we should leave only the stuff that makes up
> the basics of the OS in main. This would include all of the current
> Required priority, probably all of Important, probably all of Standard,
> plus things like X (everything needed for a running X environment,
> possibly including (part of) GNOME or somesuch), and sections like:
>
> o base
> o admin
> o relevant parts of doc
> o maybe part of editors
> o some or all of libs/oldlibs
> o perhaps part of mail
> o parts of misc that have better places to go (cbb, kernel-package, screen)
> o part of net
> o some of sound
> o most/all of text
> o part of utils
> o part of web
> o parts of x11 (see above)

Why not just have the file system on the archive be organized by priority?
We could have main/required/binary-i386, main/standard/binary-i386, etc.
This would make it *much* easier to create a mirror without all of the
stuff that belongs in a data section.  It would also then be much easier
to create 'Essential Debian' CDs or whatever.

I recently tried to create a mirror of main on a 2GB disk, because I'm
sharing an apartment with several other people who use Debian, so it
would be nice to have a fast archive site.  However, even just
unstable/main/binary-i386 filled up the entire 2GB.  That's insane.

--
Colin Walters <levanti@verbum.org>
http://web.verbum.org/levanti