Re: Stop archive bloat: 47MB gmt-coast-full_19991001-1.deb

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 05:25:43PM -0700, John Lapeyre wrote:
> *Philippe Troin wrote:
> >
> > Just found this huge file...
> >
> > Do we really need a 47MB file that will be useful to maybe 10 people
> > using Debian (at most) ? We already fill 5+ CDs...
>
>    Yes this is a problem. I just skimmed all of the proposed solutions (some of
> them follow). I have seen each of these proposals many times in the past
> 2.5 years. Some of the solutions have more merit than others.
> The only problem is, no one has implemented them.
>
>    1 data section
>    2 improved, or logical (flexible) package categories
>      (This is related to sub-distributions of Debian.
>    3 bzip
>    4 improving multiple document format situation
>      ( building docs at install, or somesuch.)

     5 storing packages on mirrors based on priority too:
       i.e. unstable/required/main
            stable/extra/main

       A deb line then might look like:

       deb http://http.debian.org/debian/required main

This doesn't seem to me like it would be too difficult to implement.  The
only changes would be in the sources.list file, and in the mirrors
themselves.

--
Colin Walters <levanti@verbum.org>
http://web.verbum.org/levanti