Re: autodectection of modules at boot time

I'm wondering if we couldn't get more integration and cooperation
going here.  Without early cooperation and integration of working
code, I don't think any system will become mainstream quickly.

There's also a package out there by Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org>,
called xdivdetect, which seems to do an excellent job automatically
determing which X server you ought to install.

Automatic hardware detection has many implications and aspects.  I
think lumping them is a mistake.

My interest is simply in having a reasonable installation which
requires less user expertise and less prompting.  Thus, these are the
types of autoconfiguration I'm interested in, and who you should work
with for each:

  * determine which device is a CD-ROM, determine if we've got a
    debian official cd (boot-floppies, debconf maintainer, debian-cd)

  * bootp/dhcp integration in the boot-floppies (boot-floppies)

  * core system support, meaning the hardware level to get you up and
    booting, such as IDE, SCSI, network (boot-floppies)

  * pick your X server (X strike force)

  * sound hardware support (?)