Re: Request for package: syslog-ng

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 11:14:25AM +0000, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> Would it be possible to use syslog-ng instead of syslogd ? As I
> understand the documentation (unfortunately I did not have the time to
> try it) it is stable now and allows the use of regexps to filter
> messages. This would be very useful for high-traffic systems. E.g. you
> can filter all kernel messages concerning input, output and forwarding
> rules and put it into an own file.

	I originally set to package it (and ended up giving
        my .diff.gz to upstream). It was not stable enough
        then. If someone wishes to continue work on it,
        the main problem is with our current sysklogd;
        ideally, klogd should be separated from syslogd,
        so that syslog-ng could use klogd also. There is no
        easy way to have syslog-ng before sysklogd is changed
        to make it possible to have klogd running but no
        syslogd.
--
Havoc Consulting | unix, linux, perl, mail, www, internet, security consulting
+358 50 5486010  | software development, unix administration, training