Re: /etc/profile.d

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Marek Habersack wrote:

> > Some programs outside Debian distribution located at /usr/local/... ditectory
> > require modified user environment.
> They are not part of the Debian system.

If the Debian modified user environment, I wouldn't have to do it by hand.

> > Manually modification of /etc/profile is annoying.
> Hmm... it's a one-time task, so I see no problem...

I need to know which variables I have to set. i.e. libqt could do it
automatically. It will not break the system but could help.

> > > It can be set in /etc/environment
> >
> > Yes, but only manually.
> The syntax of this file is strictly defined. Writing a update-environment
> script wouldn't be hard at all. But it would still break the policy.

i.e. I need a script 'langconfig' which set a default language for system.
The easiest way is to modify /etc/profile.d/lang.(sh|csh). This script
shouldn't modify any conffile shared by a few packages.

Another example - mc could add default alias to user environment. Now it isn't
possible to stay in last directory after exit mc. /etc/profile.d/mc.csh could be
following:
    alias mc 'setenv MC `/usr/bin/mc -P *`; cd $MC; unsetenv MC'

I don't understand why the environment have to be sane? In this extremal situation,
the bash shouldn't set PATH and PS1 variables and umask.

This feature could be useful. No more, no less.

--

Piotr "Dexter" Roszatycki
mailto:dexter@fnet.pl