Re: /etc/profile.d

roland@spinnaker.de (Roland Rosenfeld) writes:

> So if you know that the policy forbids profile.d, why do you start
> this discussion here?

No, the policy doesn't forbid such a directory in itself.  It just
forbids that such a directory be a default Debian system component
like it is in Redhat.  And our policy is right on this.

It doesn't prohibit the inclusion of such a directory as an *add-on*
mechanism provided by a separate optional package.  And that's just
the way to go.  Such a mechanism is just too damn useful for sysadmins
to be neglected.  I've made such a package which implements such an
add-on mechanism and have made it available including sources under
"ftp://ntama.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian/unofficial/sysprofile/";.  It is
still far from perfect, is only useful for bash and i lack the time to
work further on it.  So if someone would like to take a look at it...

Another option is Massimo dal Zotto's "shellrc" package available from
"http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/debian/";.  It supports csh and bash.

                                      Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------