Re: ramblings about old hardware, gzip, bz2, and pentium opts

Timshel Knoll wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 12:15:10PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > alternatively, spin off an entire 386/486 debian dist...which would
> > open the way to compiling debian packages with pentium optimisations
> > if/where/when it makes sense to do so.
>
> I think this kinda defeats the purpose of using bz2 ... archive size :(
> archive :(

It may become a necessity anyway... I tried installing potato on a
486-dx33 with 8Mb RAM last week (to be used as an X-Terminal). I
couldn't do it in one day. It turned out that after rebooting, when I
was dumped in dselect, the dselect process grew over 11Mb (ouch!) -
checked for this in tty2.
Even after I quit and installed packages by hand, the dpkg process went
way over 8Mb - and that's without counting the memory (looks more like
swap space actually ;-) apt-get consumed.