Re: FREEZE RESCHEDULED

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> One thing that no-one has pointed out yet is that stable has known y2k
> problems in it. Not releasing an update of some kind to fix these problems
> before y2k is going to make us look like fools.

We need *at* *least* a 2.1r4 for y2k fixes, yes.

> I would like to bring back up the idea of releasing a major update to slink.
> I have the majority of the work done, it has been done for months and has
> received a fair amount of testing [1]. This would include kernel 2.2.13, y2k
> fixes, security fixes, an updated X, and little else.

> If certian parties had not prevented me from doing this several months ago,
> we would have released this about 1 month ago, and this delay of the freeze
> would not be such a big deal. Please don't make the same mistake again
> folks, I'm volenteering to do most of the work, and I work on debian full
> time..

I was all for it then, and I'm still all for it.  Let's hash out
details on debian-release.  Personally, I'd think you'll be more
successful the more you keep it stripped down what all you are
updating, but that's just MHO.

I'm sorry I can't help you much, however, since I do want to try to
keep myself focussed on boot-floppies and my packages.