Re: lyx_1.1.2-1 replaces lyx_1.0.4-3

Paul Seelig wrote:

> > Changes:
> >  lyx (1.1.2-1) unstable; urgency=low
> >
> I don't think that it's a good idea to replace a version released as
> stable by the upstream developers with a devel version which is
> considered by the very same upstream developers to be their devel
> version for which they don't even guarantee proper compilation. :-\

Notes:

 1- http://www.lyx.org/news.php3#item2 says:

   `LyX 1.1.2 released

    The second release in the new "advancement" series are now
    available it fixes a couple of semi-serious bugs in 1.1.1 and
    is considered stable.'

 2- http://www.lyx.org/download/ says:

   `A quick summary: download things from the "stable" directory
    for stability; or live on the edge, go to the Developers page
    and get less stable versions via CVS.'

   This version was downloaded from
   ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/stable/lyx-1.1.2.tar.gz
                             ^^^^^^

 3- If it didn't compile we couldn't upload it.

 4- I agree that we shouldn't package stuff that upstream doesn't
    want available mainstream.  I don't think that this is the
    case with Lyx.

 5- It's up to Michael Meskes to decide.

I _do_ appreciate your comments, and in no way do I want to sound
harsh in my response.

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada