Re: Corel Linux

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 03:40:28PM +0100, Per Lundberg wrote:
> My first impressions, brief version:
>
> I'm not impressed.
>
> Long version:
>
> Sure, they've done pretty much to the bootup procedure (they're
> showing a splash image instead of the classic Debian way, but it's
> possible to bootup the old way too, so I guess it's okay). However,
> the feeling I get is not of a new operating system, but of a
> stripped-down Debian with KDE, and some more flashy graphics. The file
> manager seemed pretty okay, but I could not get the Corel Update to
> work.
But that "snazziness" is just what's needed to make Debian accessable to
the unwashed masses of non-technical people.. or atleast that's the hope.
Having things like splash screens and KDE will go along way, especially
since a large part of the problem with Debian for a greenhorn is getting X
setup so that they can have their comfortable GUI.

> Anyway, I think some of this can be used by the "real thing". Too bad
> they've chosen KDE as their GUI... :-/
Some of us LIKE kde and are just waiting for the licensing to get
straightened out...