Re: Package Pool Proposal

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 01:47:41AM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> Might it be better to use more granularity?  This could lead to alot of files
> in a dir, and we all know how debbugs handles that.  Reiserfs handles that,
> but it isn't part of a standard kernel, and we don't want to depend on
> particular features of a filesystem, when we can design it right to begin
> with.

You mean like give each package its own directory?  Maybe:

	$filename =~s{
			(.*?)_
		}{
			my $pkg= $1;
			my $dir= $1;
			$dir=~s-\B-/-g;
			"${dir}/${pkg}_";
		}xe;

So, for example, libstdc++2.10-dbg_2.95.2-0pre2_i386.deb would become
l/i/b/s/t/d/c+/+2.1/0-d/b/g/libstdc++2.10-dbg_2.95.2-0pre2_i386.deb

[Note that this requires something, perhaps an exception handler or
perhaps along the lines of mkdir -p, to create the requisite directories
for new packages.  Note also that you'd need to use something like
find -type f to construct a list of package files.]

--
Raul