Re: Package Pool Proposal

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 12:55:11AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> >
> > On 22 Nov 1999, Guy Maor wrote:
> >

> > > The database.  I haven't really picked an implementation technology
> > > and welcome advice.  I think whichever I pick, it should be accessible
> > > via LDAP and web.  Maybe the entire database is downloadable from the
> >
> > I would be tempted to say that straight LDAP [db2 backend] would be a wise
> > choice. It is nice and flexable and the security system is exactly what we
> > want. There are some problems we might have in getting a schema, I know
> > Ben Collins has thought about this problems [Ben?]
>
> Our current package and source archive is already layed out in a schema.
> In the openldapd package it is available in
> /etc/openldap/debian.{oc,at}.conf. I should probably get a data sample of
> the layout based on this schema. Basically this schema is based on a
> source hash, each package being a child of it's source entry. It's also
> split into arch and arch-indep fields (not the same as arch and arch-all).
> Having such a large hash is ok in the LDAP directory since it's not really
> afflicted with the same problems as a filesystem, but it should probably
> better mirror the archive (or atleast contain a field that relates to the
> archive layout.

It's far from clear to me that a LDAP-based structure is superior to a
relational one.

However, I have plenty of experience with relational databases, and none
with directories.

With that proviso in mind, my gut feel is that this 'shape' of problem is
one well solved by relational databases...

Perhaps this discussion should be taken elsewhere, though?

Jules